The food truck and mobile kitchen business is booming, and this is the perfect time to take advantage of that fact if you have been thinking of becoming an entrepreneur.
Here are the top 5 food concession business ideas that could help you get off the ground.
- Ice cream truck: This is an oldie but a goody, and it’s still popular for good reason. Anytime people hear the tinkle of lively music the ice cream trucks play as it rolls down the street, they instantly perk up at the thought of a cool treat. With Florida weather being hot and humid as it is, you’re virtually guaranteed a steady supply of customers who want a way to beat the heat. You can serve up scoops of ice cream in waffle cones or stick with prepackaged treats like Push Ups or Drumsticks. Or better yet, offer a range of options. Don’t forget the popsicles, as they are especially refreshing on a sweltering scorcher of a day.
- Bakery: With cake pops and gourmet cupcakes and cookies being all the rage, why not take advantage and try your hand at serving up sweets out of a food concession trailer? You can experiment with various flavors of icings or try your hand at decorating cookies in a variety of themes. People love being able to pick from red velvet, devil’s food, lemon, or even the more standard white cake. And don’t forget the pet-owner crowd. Plenty of customers will shell out a little extra for a homemade, customized treat for their dog. Something healthy in the shape of a bone would be a big hit. Fido is part of the family too, right?
- Wine slushies: This is a trend that has recently made its mark, and you could capitalize on that by opening a wine slushie stand of your own. Even Vogue magazine is touting the popularity and hipness of this particular treat. Like the ice cream food concession truck idea, this one will appeal to people out and about on a hot Florida day. It’s the perfect adult way to cool off. And they’re simple to make. You just need a blender, slushie mix, and alcohol. You can throw in fruit purees for a little variety in your recipes to make your menu more customized.
- Gourmet burgers: If throwing down on the grill is more your style than offering up sweet treats, you could always open up a business that serves gourmet burgers. A standard would be a big, beefy burger topped with cheddar, barbecue sauce, and delicious slices of bacon. But don’t stop there. You can offer a Philly cheesesteak version with sauteed peppers, caramelized onions, and tasty provolone cheese sauce. You’re limited only by your imagination.
- Wraps and salads: Locals and tourists alike often worry about their beach bodies, and they think carefully about what they choose to eat in order to maintain a svelte physique. A surefire way to do brisk business with a food truck would be to offer up healthy and tasty options like wraps or salads. Chicken salad wraps or taco lettuce wraps are just a couple of ideas of what you could offer. And don’t forget a couple of vegetarian offerings too to be sure you have something for everybody.